AWS API gateway is a fully managed service for developers to fully manage, publish, create, and secure API's. Using API gateway you can create both restful and WebSocket API's. API Gateway has no minimum fees or startup costs. You pay for the API calls you receive and the amount of data transferred out.
- Easy monitoring - Adding other monitoring services to api
- Security Controls - Authorize access to your APIs with AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) and Amazon Cognito. If you use OAuth tokens, API Gateway offers native OIDC and OAuth2 support.
- Throttling - API throttling is automatically added so our back ends don't receive unnecessary loads
- API development- Run multiple versions of the same API using API gateway.
- Serverless API - We can also use this to build a server less API by building a proxy from the gateway to lambda.